Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Day 324

There is a lot of statements in the English language that are heavily loaded and a lot of them seem to involve only three words. Recently I've discovered another one in a form of a question.

How are you?

This question opens up an endless possibilities of answers. From the generic ones, "I'm fine", the cop out ones, "I'm busy", to the ambiguous ones, "I'm okay". Sometimes the answer will floor you.

I'm asking this question like I mean it these days and answering it honestly. I think it throws people off.

Recently he told me how he was doing. He isn't doing well. Life really seems to be crumbling around his ears and I'm the ears to hear them. He says he has no one else. I believe him. I cannot do much in my position. All I can do is listen. I'm afraid I'm not good at even that. So I pray. I know God listens.

These days, I feel as if I traded my life for a high school girl's. I kind of like it. It keeps my thoughts away from the things that matter. I know that's bad. And yet I readily welcome the distractions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment